"Wanting to be someone else is a waste of who you are." -Kurt Cobain

Followers

Wednesday, January 20, 2016

The Forest Movie Review!

The Forest is directed by Jason Zada, who is known for directing the popular The Houses October Built. I really was not a fan of The Houses October Built. I found it boring and not scary actually, but a lot of people rave about that movie.
The Forest is about a woman named Sara who travels to Japan to find her sister Jess. Sara finds out Jess went into the suicide forest, and despite several warnings from locals, Sara insists on finding her sister.
The Forest stars Natalie Dormer and Taylor Kinney.
I found The Forest to be better than The Houses October Built, but that doesn't mean this is a great movie...it's not. The first thing that comes to my mind is jump scares! There are a lot of them...in fact, I would say that the scares in this movie are 95% jump scares. Jump scares scare you for a few seconds. The loud noise happens or the creepy thing is loud, you jump, you get over it. There's no real substance to the scares. Anyone can make a jump scare, but it takes more talent and imagination to make your audience truly scared. Psychological scares shake you to your core and make you think about what scared you over and over again. The Forest doesn't really have many of those.The story line is a great one! It's interesting and different, and the fact that this is a real place adds to the creepiness. As the movie goes on, you are informed different little things about the forest. I was curious to know if those things were true. The acting is pretty good. You don't get too attached to the characters, but you like them enough that you don't want anything bad to happen to them. You can feel the connection between Sara and Jess, which is important. There are a few flashbacks, and I wasn't too impressed with how they turned out. I can't put my finger on it, but the flashbacks to the girls' childhood just didn't work for me. Some scenes scared me, others didn't at all. The ones that did were almost always the superficial jump scares. The ending was crazy predictable. I predicted the ending about half way into the movie, maybe even before. There is a scene at the ending that is so stupid. I won't give it away, but oh my, it was DUMB! All and all, I think this movie was simply okay. It's worth seeing if you really want to or just love horror, but I wouldn't get your hopes up. If you saw this movie, let me know what you thought of it!

xoxo,
Christine

P.S. Keep in touch!


2 comments:

  1. Man, I thought "The Houses October Built" was scary as CRAP, CW. Seemed like most of it could actually HAPPEN. Plus was filmed in Texas where I grew up so I recognized a lot of the locations because I've been there. "The Forest" sounds like quite the disappointment so I will most likely take a pass. Too bad. I had high hopes for Zada. Hopefully his next effort is a MEGA CREEPY come back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there were creepy aspects of The Houses October Built, but overall I was not a fan. I felt like it dragged along. I have to say, I love the title! It's so original and interesting. The Forest was a bit of a disappointment, which is so sad! I love the concept. Aokigahara is such a creepy place. It could have been a lot better.

    ReplyDelete