"Wanting to be someone else is a waste of who you are." -Kurt Cobain

Followers

Thursday, January 21, 2016

Last Shift Movie Review!

A lot of times when I find a horror movie on Netflix, I can't even make it halfway before I turn it off. I was pretty sure this would be another one of those times. Finding hidden gems on Netflix can be far and in between, but I was pleasantly surprised by this movie. I saw this movie a few weeks ago, so lets hope my memory is fresh!
Last Shift was directed by Anthony Diblasi. I'm pretty sure I've never watched a movie he's directed before. The movie stars Juliana Harkavy and Joshua Mickel.
Last Shift is about a rookie cop who spends her first day patrolling an old police station. She's pretty much alone until a few guys come to clear out the evidence room.
The movie starts off with an officer seemingly terrorized by something...what, I don't know. They never say what caused his freak out. I guess we can assume he was experiencing something paranormal since that's what this movie is pretty much about. That or he was just crazy.    
This officer tells the rookie cop Jessica that the night should be pretty dead. (No pun intended.) All calls are going to the new police station, and at most, she may come across a few wanderers. Jessica will be alone, until four guys come to retrieve the evidence. She soon finds out she is not as alone as she thought. She begins getting phone calls from a girl in distress. Jessica tries to help, but she doesn't have many resources to. I really like Jessica's character. You find yourself rooting for he, especially when she is trying her best to help this girl.
At first, you're not sure what direction this movie is going in. Is it another redundant ghost story, is there energy from the evidence, or is there more to the story? As the movie goes on, you find out there is more...much more. The story line is a bit more original and well thought out. One thing I really liked about this movie, Jessica isn't there by accident. It's not random, but you have no idea what the connection is until the movie goes on. I don't think it's easily guessed until you have more clues.
I actually don't have many negative comments about this movie. Lets start with the acting. It was quite good. I really don't have anything bad to say about any of the actors, which is refreshing. This movie has a very creepy feel. The cool thing is, they didn't need a ton of special effects to achieve that level of creepiness. This movie surprises you, tricks you, and keeps you on your toes. The scares are pretty good too! There are both psychological scares and jump scares. The psychological scares are actually scary. The one thing I didn't like about this movie is that the main character can be very frustrating. She has her fair share of stupidity throughout this movie. Part of me wanted to jump through the screen and hit her over the head with her baton. It got to the point where I actually yelled at the screen and even face palmed myself...but, that's pretty much as negative I can get. I was confused on one part. There is a scene where Jessica interacts with what we can assume is a prostitute...(I actually liked this character, and wish there was more of her in this film.)...the feeling I got from her was that she was a part of the haunting somehow, but I don't know how. They never really connected the dots there. Or maybe it just went over my head. If you've watched this movie and you understand her character, please fill me in!
Now the ending, I liked it. I didn't guess it. My boyfriend eventually caught on and guessed it, but I didn't. The ending was different than what you see in most horror films, and the very end of it was great! If you can't tell, I obviously recommend this movie. Just be prepared to face palm yourself a couple of times.

                                                                          xoxo,
                                                                       Christine
P.S. Keep in touch!
Youtube Channel
Twitter
ChristineandTashaTV


No comments:

Post a Comment